Saturday, August 31, 2024

Tricia's Refraction

Tricia's Refraction of Sankaty Lighthouse 

Even though refraction was my chosen word I struggled with what to create. I must have forgotten what I intended to create. We have a hanging glass star that I photographed with the sun coming thru. I wasn't completely happy with my image but was going to work with it. Then I opened the Nantucket newspaper and saw the photo below by Dan Lion. The caption said "East End Light Show. The beacon of Sankaty Head Lighthouse shines and refracts in the fog Sunday night, creating a strobe-light effect." I thought this is just perfect. I contacted Dan Lion and he was happy for me to use his photo.

My base fabric was cherrywood's hand dyed grey. I used tulle as one or two layers over the white fabric to create the fog. I also painted with a Sharpie paint pen on the edges of the white fabric to soften the edges to help give the image of the glowing fog. 




I have enjoyed being part of this group. Thanks for all the inspiration!




5 comments:

  1. Tricia, I've been so eager to see how you'd interpret the theme you chose! And how perfect is this interpretation! And how timely to see the photo and its caption in the Nantucket paper! I'm so glad that Linda suggested your name for our group. It was Linda, of course, who gave me the book by the original 12 x 12 group, and that book inspired us to form the group. None of us will ever forget the wonderful time we had in your house on Nantucket Island! Thanks again for your hospitality and for showing us all such a great time. I'm going to look for photos of that gathering as well as the one in Arkansas, and the one, too, in Houston. I need to republish all of those photos in this, our farewell blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having everyone is Nantucket was so wonderful. Occasionally I get asked about the group from the gallery manager that remembers the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular photo and representation! How lucky that photo appeared and inspired your work for this theme. It is so fitting. And yes, I too remember so well the special time we shared at your lovely home on Nantucket!! And how lucky we all were to spend some time together sharing our love of art quilting and bonding!! jThat time will always have a special place in my memories!! So glad you were able to participate in your theme reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tricia, I just thanked Nedra for choosing the word, refraction. Oh well, I definitely knew that it wasn't one of the Texas or Arkansas gals! You were so lucky to have the newspaper present you with your idea for the subject. Well done. I also have to say that I have had so much fun reading about your quilts in galleries, etc. Being in your Nantucket home for one of out retreats is forever one of my fondest memories of this group of amazing women! Stay in touch with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's all in the timing! The photograph is beautiful and you have really captured the image in fabric perfectly. Being a lighthouse on Nantucket makes it even more special.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete