Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Petra's Surprise Quilt



The surprise is not the subject of the quilt but in the technique, as I did things I've never done before. I dyed the background fabric, always a surpise I feel, I never get bored with it I always think it's a miracle. I then layed it up with 5 layers of sheer fabric then stitched randomly with metallic tape, which I've never used before just letting the machine take me. I then randomly burnt out areas with a soldering iron and added some beads and used my new hot crystal applicater which I was pleasantly surprised with. So 4 new techniques, which I probably wouldn't have tried if it hadn't been for the challenge, so thankyou.

I love everyones quilts, I thought the standard was high for the Harmony quilts, but the bar has certainly been raised I'm blown away - amazing

5 comments:

  1. Petra! How wonderful, to use so many techniques new to you, techniques that surprised you because they were so much fun and so effective in their results. Your quilt is lovely beyond words. You have inspired me to try some of these same methods. I have never gotten up my courage to dye fabric, not to mention use a soldering iron. And I've never heard of a hot crystal applicator. Wow! What revelations to me. You are truly a gift and inspiration to this group, without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so daring to try so many new techniques at the same time - and it came out so beautifully!!! Love the wavy, undulating curves and flow of the colors and quilting. May I ask, what is metallic tape and how do you stitch with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just saying to my husband last night that quilting is so much fun because there is a surprise or something new to try around every corner. What a good idea to express that in your "surprise" quilt. By the way, it is beautiful and a nice ride for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra, this is beautiful! I love that you tried all new techniques since this is the main reason that we are in a challenge group. I would love to see this is person. I'm intrigued with all the different methods and supplies you used - many are new to me, and I want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Petra, what a beautiful surprise! I wish I could see it in person to see the layers of fabrics. What kind of sheers did you use and is metallic tape a thread?

    ReplyDelete