snow-dyed 100% cotton, machine stitched,
11 x 14
Originally this quilt was going to be completely hand-stitched, my project while recuperating from my September 8 knee replacement surgery. Due to unforeseen circumstances the surgery was postponed to today, October 15. As I was still able to get to my second floor studio I decided that the majority of the stitched texture would be done with my sewing machine and the circle would be the only hand-stitched element. I used Sulky 12wt Blendable variegated cotton for the machine stitching which covers the entire surface with straight lines going in 3 different directions. The hand-stitched circle, DMC #8 pearl cotton, was positioned so that it would include the converging machine stitched lines. Viewed from a distance all that is really seen is the fabric, which was my goal. By getting a bit closer, the stitching visually begins to appear. This was a very different approach for me and I am glad that I followed through with my concept, even though I was not sure if it would work.