Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Alice's Serenity Quilt--Carol's Serene Lake




This is a substitute quilt for the first one I posted.  I wasn’t happy with that one, since technically speaking, it wasn’t truly an “art quilt.” For one thing, I didn’t originate the design; it was a traditional block pattern

Recently my cousin Carol Harrison, an artist who often works in watercolors, posted one of her paintings on Facebook.  I fell in love with this lovely serene painting, and I thought, “Maybe I could replicate that design in fabric.”  I emailed Carol and received her permission to use her image.

I was determined to use only fabrics in my stash, many of which are batiks and were backed with fusible already.  I used as a base a blue ombre with graduated shades of blue. Then I began the process of selecting the fabrics for the other elements in the painting.  These I cut out free hand with scissors or two different rotary cutter blades.  As I finished one layer, then I overlapped the fabric strips to make the next layer.  All went well until I got to the water, specifically, the shadows of the trees in the water.  Green shadows look fine in the painting, but green fabrics just didn’t look like shadows us.  So I switched to blue shadows, using various batiks.  But still they didn’t look shadow-like to me. 

Sue Benner taught one workshop I’ve attended, and her method was to use multiple strips of fabric to compose her landscape quilts.  I went to her website and studied how she treated water and shadows.  Following her example, I overlaid tiny cuts from other blue batiks onto the shadow shapes. This looked much better.

After the quilt was finished, I machine quilted, changing thread colors often, chiefly sewing down the fused edges and then doing some echo quilting.  After all the quilting was done, I thread-painted the red-brown grasses at the bottom of the quilt.

I’m happier with this quilt!  Carol’s painting is below.  Beneath is, a detail of the water and the shadows in the quilt.  






7 comments:

  1. Wonderful depiction of the lake and its reflections! IT certainly gives the sense of serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUTSTANDING ! You did a great job on this theme, and your depiction of the lake is beautiful. I also enjoyed reading about the different processes you used !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely quilt. I wouldn’t mind walking out there and sitting in that beautiful setting. Your quilt and Carol’s painting are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Alice as is the painting !!!!

    Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous, Alice. I continue to be amazed at your quilting artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Alice. Love the reflections in the water!!! You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomejogos online 2019
    play Games friv
    school friv

    ReplyDelete