Sunday, July 14, 2019

Carolyn - A Tear For Those Torn





This is my very first attempt at a Sacred Quilt.  I have been thinking about focusing on this type of quilt for some time, and this theme was the perfect time to start on this journey.

I have been reading books this summer that deal with family conflicts and separations, including “Educated,” “Before We Were Yours,”  “Lilac Girls” and “Where the Crawdads Sing.”  

While reading them, I became keenly aware of families, near and far, that are torn apart for one reason or another.  Then came the Crisis at the Border and the photo of the young toddler and father who drowned just steps from freedom in the Rio Grande River very near my hometown.  I could not get the images of children in distressing conditions and those desperately risking their lives in search of freedom out of my mind.  So I decided to base my quilt on these families.

I had small pieces of silk on hand, and chose colors with special meanings: 
            yellow for danger,
turquoise for misfortune,
purple for compassion,
orange for endurance, and
muddy green for misfortune.

I tore each piece into strips, and then pulled apart the yellow strip, painting the split area with strokes of dark blood red and dull white. I mounted each strip on a bright red background, the color of violence. Then came the tears, in white, for love –the love of God and the love we share for those in need. It is quilted with Aurufil thread. In creating this piece, I have interpreted the theme in two ways: tear –to tear apart, and tear – to have empathy for others.

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. Love your reason for the colors. I have also read those books in the past year. All of them are so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant was the first word I thought of. I love all the symbolism, and that the theme inspired your use of tears and torn fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have read EDUCATED, LILAC GIRLS, and CRAWDADS. And of course, the news stories of the awful conditions at our Southern border are almost too painful to read. I applaud you for taking what you've read and learned lately and turned this awareness into a lovely quilt. The only thing that bothers me is linking turquoise to misfortune, since turquoise is my favorite color, but that's being self-centered of me. This is a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice - all of the colors have various meanings. I chose certain meanings for this quilt. So do not think turquoise always means "misfortune!"

      Delete
  4. I love your technique and symbolism in this beautiful piece. the colors are striking and so meaningful. I too have read those books and agree how heartbreaking it is for families to be torn apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interpretation of our Challenge word.... Illustrating "TEAR" as both 'torn' and those 'tears' resulting from extreme and dire situations. The compassion and heartbreak I feel for all the people who are so tragically separated from their families (for many different & varied reasons) always bring 'tears' to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete