Monday, July 15, 2019

Nedra's Tear - Tear of the Twiga



Giraffes are my favorite animal as many who know me are quite aware.  They have been a source of inspiration for many of my original quilts and once again for this theme.  Because of this fascination, I have many pictures and drawings that I've planned to turn into my own artwork.  One of those drawings was perfect for this theme.  Twiga is the Swahili name for giraffe and the title represents the sadness these beauties feel when one of their family is killed.  The inspiration was this drawing I had previously made of a giraffe's eye.  I intended to do a close up of their eyes as they are so big and beautiful with the longest lashes!!!

I forgot to take a picture before I cut the fabric but these are the scraps of the rust dyed fabric I used.  It was purchased long ago and intended to recreate the spots of a giraffe. I traced my drawing onto this piece of fabric from my stash .


This is the drawing I had made long ago but never worked with.  All I had to do was add the tear!!




I used Shiva paintsticks and inktense pencils to embellish the spots and for shading to create my close up of the eye.  When I was pleased with the shading and dimension, I sandwiched with batting and backing and then machine stitched to add details and more shading.  It was then bound.  The tear was added last and is made from an iridescent fabric with pearlescent sequins glued onto it and then attached to the piece.






6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite pieces that you have done. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, although the tear is heartbreaking! How satisfying that you were able to use a drawing that you have been wanting to use as the starting point for a quilt. So compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I just read a heart-breaking story in the NYT magazine about elephants being taken from their natural habitats and flown to our country in cages that don't even allow them to lie down. This article made me become anti-zoo, despite the fact that we have a lovely "natural habitat" zoo in Waco. But the truth is that zoos are NOT truly anything close to natural habitats. Elephants in the wild roam over 500 miles! Anyway, the tears of your lovely giraffe made me think of this article. I agree with Tricia that this is certainly one of your best quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just stunning Nedra. I love the close-up of the eye of the giraffe shedding a tear in grief. This was a very creative idea and executed perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nedra, as others have already mentioned, this quilt is absolutely STUNNING ! You captured the essence of the situation, made each one of us want to reach out and help save those lovely, exotic and fragile animals. The detail of the giraffe's eye, and that solitary tear says everything without speaking a word.
    Absolutely amazing ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomeJogo para criança online
    play Games friv
    free online friv Games

    ReplyDelete