Monday, November 16, 2020

The Round Table Composite

Our internet connection gets so slow late in the afternoon (kids doing homework and at home playing video games) that, as I worked on this round's composite I was forced to consult an old-fashioned reference source, the World Book Encyclopedia.  Yes, we have a set, purchased for our 7-year old grandson who is an avid reader (and reads at this level).   All I could remember about the Round Table was "One for all, all for one!"  I thought I remembered the words "legendary."  It's a tale at least 1,000 years old.  Therefore, when this round's theme was announced, I suspected we would step back all those years--mostly.  But again your creativity surprised me.

The top row--Jane, Tricia, Kathy--lends a summary touch to our crazy world today.  We are, truly, spiraling out of control and longing for something as simple as a family "sit-down" together, over a good meal, and perhaps at a round table!

The second row is confession time for Randy.  Since I'm not, technically, a quilter, then, technically, I should not be allowed to voice an opinion for #1.  In another life I did present workshops on the use of humor to develop the skill of creativity and that tired old cliche of "think outside the box."  When I saw Judy's quilt, my first reaction was WOW, that's outside the box.  I invented my own prize, an Excalibur Recognition. I really don't mean to slight the rest of you, but Judy's just made me think, "Box, what box?"  Then Nedra's quilt just had to slip next to it to keep us focused.

Alice, if you really stretch your imagination, you can see an angel in that white cloud floating over your Wee Folk King, Queen, and Knight.  Plus what a gift you gave to your grandson to demonstrate what you can do with needle and thread.  I would expect nothing less from an experienced teacher and a loving grandmother!

To close the composite, a graffiti quilt from Gail, a swirl of confusion as to how to cope as we try to sort fact from who knows the truth.  Andrea, I couldn't resist, I put a mask next to your quilt because you so succinctly said "Social Distance."  Unfortunately, that says it all for these days.

Again, hold steady my friends; we will get through this--together!

Jobs well done.

Randy
 


4 comments:

  1. Oh Randy, I just adore seeing your composites and letting us "in" on your creative process. Brilliant ( and clever ) idea to award the Excalibur Recognition to Judy, I so agree! I also love the very tongue-in-cheek mask next to my quilt. Thank you so much once again and yes, we will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy is a sheer genius IMO! I love his composites and adore his narratives about his thinking process! So creative and clever. Randy, I hope you read these. You have a bunch of fans, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, as always you make it fun to see what you see in our quilts. Thank you for the Excalibur recognition! These challenges have been really good for me to search beyond the word and see what I can discover. I use to be super literal, but I know my fellow Material Mavens are so creative that I try to look deeper. Thank you Mavens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy ! Its fascinating to see how you put our "Little Quilts" together, and then to read your narrative on how the composition came about !
    Thanks so much for all the work you do, the time you take to bring our work into a cohesive arrangement, and for taking the time to comment on each of our individual "Masterpieces !" Peace and blessings :-D

    ReplyDelete