Friday, January 15, 2016

Jane's Pun Quilt

Jane’s “Pun” Quilt

Negative Space


 Well, this should be a delightful reveal. It has been very challenging for me. I kept researching visual puns hoping to find one that really spoke to me. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I ran across an image which inspired my quilt. I have to admit I tried to come up with something totally original that had art connotations, but had to come back to this image.

The title of my quilt is Negative Space. All of the planets have frowns, one is crying, one has her tongue out. Some of these expressions are difficult to see, but they are there.

I started with a hand-dyed background then looked into my stash of fused fabrics to find some planets. After quilting the background, I fused the planets in place and quilted them. Then I drew their expressions on with markers. I thought it was done but realized they didn’t particularly look like planets. I added the sparkly rings around one of them with Holoshimmer thread to add that special quality.

I wanted to use the expression, “Color gets all the credit while Value does the work” Can any of you draw me a cartoon of that?



9 comments:

  1. Jane, how totally clever. Even without Saturn's rings I knew these grouchy faces were planets! As with so many so far, this made me grin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...such sad ( negative ) faces! Love your interpretation, even if it wasn't the art connotation that you had hoped to create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever Jane. I like all the negative faces on your planets - and the basis of your quilt: color gets all the credit, value does all the work. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great solution! Love all the textures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, particularly the sad red plant!!!
    Great background quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea and a cool away to depict negative space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The expressions are great. The quilting adds such wonderful texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh.... I'll never think of "Negative Space" in the same way ever again ! Great pun.... loved your interpretation, and the background quilting is super !

    ReplyDelete
  9. You achieved some awesome texture here! It is difficult to work representationally when your innate strengths are abstract. I live with someone who travels with his sketch pad and he often has "interesting@ comments about my drawings.

    ReplyDelete