Friday, January 15, 2016

Tricia's Pun- Material Ravens Sew Corny

When I heard the theme "Pun" I was completely stumped.  My husband loves Puns.  So on a bike ride I brought up our theme. Boy did that get him going!  So many ideas.  I love the fact that the theme also created a lot of discussion among the group. I also talked about the theme with my daughters.  We came up with Material Ravens and Sew Corny.

I used hand painted fabric from Mickey Lawler for the background fabric.  I then picked the fabric for the ravens and machine appliqued the ravens and corn.  I couched black cording for the telephone wires.  I pulled thread from my trash for the birds beaks.  I used beads for the eyes. I used a new technique for facing my quilt.

10 comments:

  1. Tricia, what a unique and clever pun! I love the idea of ravens sewing seeds of corn! And the needle that you left in the piece - brilliant! The different fabrics for the ravens set it off! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my another VERY clever pun executed so well!! Especially love the corn and the needle is a perfect addition to the composition!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is terrific! Love your fabric choices, looks like you had a great time with both your pun and construction. I agree that it was fun that this theme generated much discussion among the group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased at the creativity demonstrated by all the quilts so far! And that certainly applies to your quilt! It combines beauty and inventivenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wonderful Lawler fabric for the background. The ravens are great! Sewing corn for a future day. Terrific idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine mark coming up with a ton of ideas! Love this, it just has a wonderful feel and your pun is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I'm just getting the "material clad ravens" now!! Geesh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of fun! Your piece is perfectly corny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great that your family got involved with this MM challenge ! Sew neat that you (and your family !) created your own pun in homage to the Material Mavens.... Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful background - a sunset? Telephone wires, material ravens and corn.
    Clever.
    NM

    ReplyDelete