Monday, July 15, 2019

Andrea's Tear Quilt


Tears of Laughter

11" x 14" commercial cotton, hand-dyed cotton, organza, screen printed


Failed!  This quilt is based on a 2005 email sent from a friend to the other quilt show committee members of my guild.  I don't feel it appropriate to publish the contents of the email, although parts of it are screened on the background for texture.  The email ( titled Mum-a-Mia ) recounted the "adventure" my friend had when picking up fourteen 8" chrysanthemum plants to display during our quilt show.  To this day, it remains the funniest thing I have ever read.  This quilt is not funny, although what it represents to me is, sort of.  I wanted to represent a shopping cart full of mums rolling down a hill in the pouring rain, which I don't think it does.  Although the quilt is technically "done",  I'm thinking of adding beads to see if that will give more of the rain effect that I was going for.  The metallic thread that I quilted with does not.  What I do like about the quilt, which was totally unintended, is that it pays homage to a sign that the store no longer uses.  They moved and enlarged a few years ago and have different signage now.  It is a family run business started by a father and son who emigrated from Italy in 1910, and purchased a pushcart to sell fruits and vegetables from in Boston.  They moved to the suburbs in 1952.

5 comments:

  1. I would have loved to hear the story. I really like your composition. Love the sign! I think the colors work well together, Nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your narrative and then studied the quilt carefully, and then I saw the run-away cart! And your friend is great with a pun: "Mum a Mia" Hilarious. I think this is a super way to portray tears of laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember that story and would love to read the e-mail again!! Love your cart and mums!! I do think the angle of the cart and the metallic thread give the impression you wanted. Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh outloud, and that is what you intended. I saw the cart right away running away. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT JOB ! I think you fully accomplished what you set out to do ! Like the other MMs, I'd also love to know more about that e-mail :-D
    As always, your method of "screening" absolutely fascinates me ! ! !
    In my 'next life' I'm gonna be looking for one of those no-longer-available "THERMOFAX" machines and get back into one of the most fun and creative ART activities I've ever enjoyed !

    ReplyDelete