Monday, July 15, 2019

Tricia's Tear


Over the Fourth of July we had a crowd of family and friends visiting.  We had a wonderful time with 11 adults, 5 dogs and a cat. The last morning that the first group left very early. After boarding the ferry they noticed it was very foggy. Josh Ledbetter took this photograph from the ferry. After seeing the photograph I decided to try and recreate it with only torn fabrics.

I created the water from tearing the blue fabric. I used silver thread and tsukineko inks to create the shimmer of the sun on the water.. I found a piece of white silk for the sun and free motioned stitched the yellow edges. I then tore batting fabric in small pieces for the clouds. I layered them on a background of blue sky fabric. I machine stitched the batting with invisible thread. To create the shadow I used shiva paint sticks.


6 comments:

  1. I love not only the photograph, but your use of torn fabric and batting to represent it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, the latest or one of the latest Quilting Arts magazines had a feature on "torn landscapes"! I was so eager to invent a landscape and do something similar to that one in the magazine and, now, this one of yours! But, alas, I'm in Michigan for the summer and away from my big stash that would have provided me with many fabrics I could have used! YOURS is wonderful, and the photograph on which it is based is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that photograph and your representation of it are stunning!! Love the technique you used and especially how the water came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this torn quilt Tricia. I want to see this in person so I can see those puffy clouds. Beautifully created!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interpretation of our challenge ! I love all the torn pieces, and how you were able to manipulate the fabrics to represent the different elements in the original photograph. Great job :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomeJogo para criança online
    play Games friv
    free online friv Games

    ReplyDelete