Monday, July 15, 2019

Kathy's "Tear / Tear"


What an absolutely wonderful theme for this challenge !  As I may have mentioned in a group e-mail to the Material Mavens, I thought it was interesting that we'd have a choice of how to interpret this word:  Could it be "TEAR" as in weeping ?   Could it be "TEAR" as in being torn apart ?    Or... perhaps a combination of both ?

I chose to do a combination !

The "Background" for this quilt is made from strips of beautiful taffeta fabric that are frayed and kind of "worn" at the edges.  There are lots of hanging threads that further emphasize the torn edges.  I wove the strips to create a "basket weave" piece of cloth.

The beautiful "Tear" in the forefront is actually two separate pieces.  I copied the background image onto Silk Fabric; carefully cut out the "Tear"  and then fused it to my background fabrics(s) using MISTIFUSE.  (This is one of my most favorite products; one that I've GOT to have in my Studio at all times  !)

To provide the shimmer and beautify of the "Tear,"  I traced the image onto beautiful "be-jeweled" sheer fabric, carefully cut out the image, then top-stitched it over the "Tear" using Monofilament Thread.

The binding and backing of  "Tear / Tear"  is the same beautiful taffeta that was used for the woven strip background.

As it turns out....  "Tear / Tear" is one of my Most Favorites of all the themes we've had !

Peace and blessings to all,   Kathy

5 comments:

  1. Would love to see this in person to appreciate the texture and weaving. Love the monochromatic look and the lovely "shadowing" in the woven strips. Cleverly executed both definitions of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, this is gorgeous! I've made those woven backgrounds before myself, and I don't know WHY I didn't think to do that this time, when I've been so totally baffled about what to post! But then, what to place on the background? Of course, a simple TEAR, but that never occurred to this clue-less quilter! Anyway, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the simplicity of your design, yet so rich and complex with textures and in content, visually compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning. Wish I could see in person for all the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomeJogo para criança online
    play Games friv
    free online friv Games

    ReplyDelete