Friday, July 31, 2020

Alice's Garden Quilt--A Collage of Kaffe's Flowers


When I was straightening up the Elfa drawers that hold my stash, I went through my “purple” drawer.  Tucked into the bottom of it was a piece of sun-printed fabric that didn’t look familiar to me. When did I make this?  Then I remembered that I’d demonstrated sun printing at our MM retreat in Arkansas several years ago.  I went to the blog to look at the pictures I’d posted for that wonderful retreat.  Lo and behold, there I saw a photo of myself working on this exact fabric!  (I've included that photo below.)

I had decided to do a sort of collage of flower cutouts from my Kaffe Fassett fabrics, so next I sorted through that drawer.  Most of his florals are huge, really too big for such a small quilt.  But I found a few that would work.

I cut small sections of my chosen fabrics and applied a fusible product to their backs.  Then I cut around the flower motifs and arranged each on a square of the sun-printed fabric.  I used a fusible product that I have only occasionally used--Steam a Seam--but this proved to be a good choice.  Because it is “repositionable,” you can easily rearrange the appliqué shapes; they stick to the background but aren’t permanently adhered until you iron them down.  I arranged the appliqués such that some of the sun-printed flowers can be seen.

I bound it with more of the sun-printed fabric, and I quilted very simply with echo-quilting around the motifs.


This is the second Garden quilt I made!  My first one was a stringed pieced design, again using florals that were chiefly shades of purple, and it turned out all right, but somehow I wasn’t happy with it.  But it was already made, and so now it has become the back of my quilt.  So as I’ve done before on occasion, mine is a two-sided quilt! Below is the back of my quilt.  If I'd used this one, I'd have named it "String Pieced Garden Flowers."  



And here I am working on that sun-printed fabric:



7 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous Alice. This would make a good wall hanging in a larger size! I love the purple and all of the Kaffe flowers that you added. What a beautiful little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the soft sun died fabric and your Kaffe flower garden. His flowers blend perfectly with the colors in your print. Sure wish I had flowers as muticored as these
    in my garden!! Love your two sided version!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Karen, how satisfying to be able to so beautifully use a class sample as the inspiration for your quilt. You've "married" it so well with the Kaffe flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt has come full circle....such is life. Wish we could all get together again. Everyone had such an inspiring demo. You always pull something out of your stash that has a story! Love it Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Alice! Lots different techniques and always nice to find use for all our found pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice, What a Lovely Quilt ! I love the purple sun printed fabric you used for your background; it reminded me of some of the fabric dyeing projects I used to do ! And your Kaffe Fassett flowers are perfect :-D
    Also really clever that you were able to use your other quilt as the backing; and as you said, you now have TWO Garden quilts !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo fun! I love how that special piece of fabric popped up at just the right time. Your love of flowers and Kaffe fabric, blend well with that special time in Arkansas!

    ReplyDelete