Friday, July 31, 2020

Nedra's Garden - Chihulys Paintbrushes








Several years ago there was a Chihuly exhibit at the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta.  Having been a fan for many years, I drove 4 hours to meet a relative to see the exhibit.  The displays were fantastic as I expected!!!  One of them included the gondola filled with glass balls which was fashioned into a stunning quilt by Melissa Sobotka several years ago.   I took many pictures but none of them really did justice to the pieces and their settings - I purchased the book to remember them as they really were!!

The background is composed of a batik print as a base with rectangles of dark batik fused  and then stitched on top.  The glass paintbrushes are made of batiks also which are machine stitched onto the background.   Simple curved stitching using a turquoise rayon thread and glass beads were used to add texture and contrast.  The colors are a bit washed out in the photo -- the stems are greener than they appear  The piece is 11 X 14.  

Of course my pictures from Atlanta came out terribly so I've included a link with a slideshow of the exhibit.  You'll see how stunning the Fern Dell Paintbrushes were in their natural beauty.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nedra! I went to the Chihuly exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum, and I, too, was blown away by his astounding work and how it accentuated the beauty of the garden. Your dark rectangles and glass beads beautifully set off
    this piece. Thanks for reminding me of these gorgeous paintbrushes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amd I went with Carolyn and Jerry to that same exhibit! And how well I recall that gorgeous quilt you mentioned which we also saw in Houston. You've done a beautiful job of capturing the paintbrushes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea to "take on" Chihuly's glass flowers.
    Perfect background and the addition of the beads really gives the blossoms a reflective ( glass ) quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Chihuly! I too saw an exhibit in St Louis. He is a quilter’s delight. Stitching and beads draw you in. Good color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I read your description, Chihuly came to mind! Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for over 35 years, and we also were privileged to participate in the joy of a Chihuly exhibit ! I was fascinated by all the really large Hand Blown Glass Balls that were in that exhibit... Wondering how in the world they got them to Alaska without breaking any of them ! Great job in producing a quilt using Chihuly as your inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That background with the added rectangles really sets off the Chihuly glass flowers! The glass beads sure do the trick to add special detail. I'd love to see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete