Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tricia’s Flower- Wisteria Tree


 A year and a half ago I took a Merrill Comeau mixed media class at Snow Farm in western Mass. I started to work on a piece from a photograph of a Wisteria plant. In our last house we had a 50 year old Wisteria tree which was so beautiful in the spring.  I decided to finish my piece for our flower theme.

I used raw edge appliqué, free motion stitching and French knots.  I loved Merrill’s class.  It helped me to free up my use of fabric.

5 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Tricia! I love Merrill Comeau's work, what a great opportunity to have taken a class with her. Really special homage to the 50 year old wisteria at your former home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not familiar with Merrill Comeau so looked her up. Very interesting style which you have incorporated in this piece. Love the monochromatic palette. I think I'll try this technique in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was not familiar with Merrill Comeau. I'm glad you were able to pick this back up and make your quilt from it. Quilts are all about stories and the wisteria, class, and this theme is what it is all about. I really like how the wisteria pulls us into the piece. Judy S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, how lovely! We used to have a wisteria tree when I was growing up, and I have loved them ever since. I love the contemporary design and now I need to Google Merrill Comeau to learn more about her inventive techniques. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete