Monday, April 15, 2019

Carolyn's Desert Serenity



The desert Southwest is my favorite place of all.   I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas.  As a result, this part of the country pulls at my heartstrings.  For me, it is one of the most serene places I know.  My husband and I just made a trip to Big Bend National Park.  In springtime, it is alive with bluebonnets and blooming cacti.  The bluebonnets, a different variety from those in the Texas Hill Country, grow as tall as 3-4 feet.  Their color is a vibrant purple-blue.

My quilt was made with silk and batik fabrics and was quilted using Ricky Tims Art Studio threads.  The sky is a hand-dyed cotton by Mickey Lawler.  The cacti buds were hand embroidered using Laura Wasolowski’s hand-dyed embroidery threads.


Along with photos of my quilt, I have posted a photo of one of the tall bluebonnets of this unique part of the U.S.




7 comments:

  1. I love your use of silk and batiks. How special to see the bluebonnets. I need to make that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of bluebonnets that tall! I'm delighted that you were able to capture this unique part of our state in this exquisite quilt! This is such a good interpretation of our theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an outstanding portrayal of our Beautiful Texas during this phenomenal season ! And your use of the different fabrics and embellishments capture your thoughts & descriptions perfectly !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your choice of fabrics is wonderful and the execution is beautiful. I've never been to Big Bend but have seen the bluebonnets in Hill Country and love them. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! I’ve always loved Mickey Lawler’s Hand dyed fabrics. That sky is gorgeous just like the real thing! What weight is Ricky Tim’s thread? It is perfect for the quilting. Through your quilt I can step into Big Bend. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Ricky Tims thread is 40 wt polyester and has a wonderful, soft sheen. He recommends a 90/14 needle.

      Delete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomejogos online 2019
    play Games friv
    school friv

    ReplyDelete