Monday, April 15, 2019

Andrea's Serenity Quilt


Untitled
12" x 12" snow-dyed cotton, resist, machine and hand-stitched.


When thinking about this theme in January, I decided to start with what I consider "serene" colors and came up with soft peach, pink, green and beige.  Then I considered a technique that I thought would fit the theme and decided that hand-stitching a whole cloth quilt for a few minutes daily until the entire surface was covered would work.  However, other "situations" presented themselves that distracted me from my plan.

In my stash of snow-dyed fabric I found two pieces that I felt would work, one with pinks and the with greens.  My love of working with circles continues so I designed a piece that would include resisted circles to slow-stitch.  As time was running out to finish, I very minimally machine stitched and then added a bit of hand-stitching for texture.  Even though I did not follow through with my original idea, this visually represents "Serenity" to me.
  
 

Detail 

6 comments:

  1. Andrea, you are always amazing me with your variety of techniques. Wow! The colors in this piece are SO serene! I love the hand stitching that you added and really think that this small amount is just perfect! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow dye is wonderful. You were able to continue your circles. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soft colors are just right for serenity! And I love the combination of machine and hand stitching. The use of the latter is such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh ..... Breath In / Breath Out...
    Your chosen colors to use in this beautiful quilt were perfect. Calm, peaceful, soothing.
    And sometimes I find that when I need to do hand-work, the slower pace of hand vs. machine often calms me down as well.
    Great Job !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such perfect colors for the theme. Reminds me of soft puffy clouds!! How did you get the perfect circles with snow dying? I didn't think you could get such a clear circular shape that way.
    Lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colors are perfect! I too am interested in how you got the perfect resist circles. Having the large circle overlap is a great look and doing some hand stitching adds just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete