Monday, April 15, 2019

Nedra's Serenity - Serengeti Sunrise



On our 2017 trip to Tanzania, we spent several days in the Serengeti. One morning the sunrise was spectacular as we searched for wildlife on our early morning excursion.  The sun was just emerging and created a beautiful sky over the verdant landscape.  We asked the driver to stop for pictures. We lingered there for a long time just marveling at the early morning painting before our eyes. I had such a feeling of intimacy with nature as we savored this scene in one of my favorite spots on earth. This picture exemplifies the serenity I felt savoring the natural beauty of Africa.  The top photo is the finished piece and the lower is the picture I printed on fabric.

My plan was to use a technique I had worked with before in a project.  The project included a  close up photo printed on fabric of a pointsettia and a pattern with petals and leaves surrounding the photo which filled out the larger flowers.  My own fabric stash was used for the background, petals and leaves.   I hoped to do the same with the sunrise photo by extending the image into the borders using fabric of my own.  The following  picture is the finished product and the second is the photo that was provided.






I chose a batik for the sky which I painted and shaded with inktense pencils to blend with the colors of the photo.  A green commercial cotton was over painted for the grass.  The texture of that didn't really look like the grass in the picture. I tried the snippet technique to add to the grassy landscape.  Stitching was added to create texture and tuille on top for shading.  Traditional binding was used to finish the piece.  I'm not really thrilled with the finished piece.   I believe this technique works better with closeups versus a landscape scene.  Closeups of .orchids I recently took would be a better choice for this technique and I hope to give a another attempt.

7 comments:

  1. Love the technique! Both your photo and quilt represent the definition of serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Africa is such an amazing place. What a great technique.
    The flower works really well. I love the colors of the sunrise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you tried a new technique Nedra. Sunrises and sunsets are difficult because of all of the various colors. In spite of your disappointment, it turned out well and you learned so much. That's the point, isn't it! I love the poinsettia quilt! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the soft colors you used captured the sunrise beautifully. A very serene scene, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Passion and Love you feel for Africa, and your experiences there came through loud and clear ! Through your words and your quilt I got a great sense of beauty to be found in Tanzania.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! It is hard to get the intensity of the real thing, but it is serene and gives all of us a glimpse at the beauty you experienced. Bravo on using the snippets method. I’ve done it once and discovered that it wasn’t me, but in quilting I’ve learned never to say never so who knows if I’ll change my mind in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomejogos online 2019
    play Games friv
    school friv

    ReplyDelete