Monday, April 15, 2019

KATHY'S SERENITY


Several years ago we were spending some rather blissful days in Hawaii with our Adult Children, and our Grandbabies !      As we were strolling down one of the streets, there, on a rather small, kind of isolated area of sand and shore was a beach... very quiet and calm, and yet right in the middle of "down town."  

On that special beach were numerous 'collections' of Round Rocks that had been carefully stacked and assembled to form beautiful and (to me !) mysterious structures.   

*Where did those rocks come from ?
*Who put the rocks together to form those unfamiliar structures ?
*How do the rock structures maintain their positions ?  
            With cement ?  Glue ?  Other ?
*Will the structures remain after the tide(s) roll in and back out ?
*And if they remain, what's going to happen to them ?
       
                                  WHAT ARE THEY ???

Well, it was explained to me that the structures are made of rocks found near the beaches, and rocks that sometimes wash up on shore from other long-distance shores.    The Rocks are carefully stacked and balanced, and when the structures are finished, they become focal points that can be used during times of meditation and contemplation.... The "Quiet" Times in a person's daily routine.

In my mind, these Balanced Stones brought a sense of "Serenity," and thus my choice for this quilt  !

For the rocks, I used fabrics that reminded me of rocks with moss, rocks that had been weather-beaten, and rocks that perhaps had been traveling for a long time in order to become "Serenity Stones."    The backing fabric made me think of the sandy beaches, and some of the interesting wood, skeletal shapes, and sea shells you might find on a beach.

The quilting ....  Well, "Free Motion" is my passion, so I used the images in the fabric to suggest the quilting motifs.   Again - sand, shapes, and shells.
Notice the Free Motion detail in this picture !


Peace and Serenity to All !          MAHALO ! !



4 comments:

  1. A unique and lovely quilt, based on an equally unique and lovely custom. How fortunate you were to encounter these artful stacks of rocks. And, yes, exactly right for this theme of serenity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've frequently seen these stacks of rocks on hiking trails used as markers and they have always fascinated me. They are so unexpected there and such a focal point to ponder in the quiet serenity of nature. You've captured them so perfectly with your choice of fabrics and quilting. Simple and serene!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The stacking rocks are always fun for me to see. I didn’t think about a focal point for meditating, but when I find one I tend to sit and look at it for quite a while so it does draw me into meditation. All your fabric choices are spot on. The background gives beautiful interest without taking away from the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen many stacked rocks in the most unusual places. For me they are a sacred symbol of one who passed this way before me. I am convinced that they have a religious meaning for whomever created them. Love this symbol of serenity!

    ReplyDelete