Thursday, April 30, 2020

Andrea's Paint quilt


 Emerging Daffodils

12" x 12" 
screen printed and stencilled on cotton using 
transparent fabric paint


Up until last week I had a very different design idea worked out for my "Paint" quilt.  Although I liked the design, I was not motivated to even start it.  It was when I realized that I needed to create a piece that reflected, in some small way, just what is happening in the world now, that I came up with a new design.  Wash Your Hands; Social Distancing; Wear A Mask; Stay Home are a few of the phrases we are hearing everyday now, or at least in Massachusetts.

While staying home I have been appreciating watching my daffodils emerge in my little back garden, which I can see from my kitchen window.  The process of nature returning is about the only thing that seems "normal" now.  This was my inspiration.  It is a whole cloth quilt with all the imagery created using hand cut stencils and transparent fabric paint.  The background is screen printed with a "montage" of a few of my favorite images, mostly having to do with travel.  I intended the background to be a bit more "faded" than it is, as it represents the fading of life as I have known it.

"Where flowers bloom, so does hope"
Lady Bird Johnson

Some of the stencils that I used for the imagery.

5 comments:

  1. So striking, so graphic, and so YOU! It truly is one of my favorites of yours, Andrea! Just lovely, and so beautifully designed and composed. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Andrea. We are at our daughter's home, and I, too, have so enjoyed watching the flowers spring up. I love the design and the happiness in difficult times that your quilt communicates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful quilt! It is a strange world but nature continues to paint our world with beauty and you did a wonderful job telling the story of our reality at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet and so appropriate for these times!! Brought a smile to my face. Thank goodness for nature in these times of fear and isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Andrea ! As usual, another of your stunning quilts. So simple at first glance, then you start realizing the positive impact Mother Nature can have on all of us (especially during this significantly difficult time), by her presence and beauty. Thank you so much for this beautiful piece.....

    ReplyDelete