Thursday, April 30, 2020

Gail’s Paint Quilt

I can still remember the first time I heard the descriptive term “thread paint”.  I thought ahhh yes that is what I am doing with thread.   Thread painting is what we all do with our art quilts.  Fabric and thread are our paints.  We have finally been recognized as artists without brushes but with needle and thread.  I so embrace this concept and this challenge!  My quilt is a silk panel given to me by Karen Sharp, a talented quilt artist.  I’ve looked at it for months. My familiarity with my Sweet 16 sit down midarm and the many threads Karen gave me inspired this little quilt.  I have reached a level of free motion quilting I only dreamed about.  Thank you Alice and everyone for this opportunity.  I used couching with metallic threads to outline the silk embroidered panel, yarn to embellish the border, and quilting on mySweet 16 for the background.

7 comments:

  1. Gail, you really have reached new heights with your free motion quilting on the Sweet 16! I am always in total awe of people like you and others in our group (Judy, Teresa, to name just two!) who've mastered this technique! This is truly beautiful, and your stitching enhances it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a work of art beautifully executed on your Sweet 16!! Particularly like the stitching around the salmon leaves! Dramatic piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly honored and enhanced the panel given to you by your friend with your amazing free motion quilting, just beautiful Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couching with those metallic threads really enhances the design beautifully! How exciting that you are getting comfortable with your sweet 16 and doing such fun quilting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you did on this quilt... and fantastic that you're learning so much about machine quilting; free-motion quilting; embellishments; and "couching" metallic threads! Keep up the great work you're doing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for my delay in responding to your glorious thread painting Gail. I am watching you on Facebook as you paint and then thread paint. Love what you are doing and admire you for working so hard! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for my delay in responding to your glorious thread painting Gail. I am watching you on Facebook as you paint and then thread paint. Love what you are doing and admire you for working so hard! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete