Thursday, April 30, 2020

Nedra's Paint - Paint the Town Red




The theme is incorporated in two ways for this challenge using paint as the inspiration and a method.
No matter how much I pondered, my mind always came back to the "Paint the Town Red " phrase.  So what better town to do so in than Las Vegas as I and a friend did when I turned 50!!!  

 I wanted to use obvious landmarks from Vegas for the skyline at the time of a warm southwestern sunset. The background is a combination of commercial and personal hand died fabric.  The landmarks are from some of the newer Vegas hotels, New York, New York, The Wynn, Luxor, Paris and Bellagio.  They are fused on and it is machine quilted.   Fingernail polish and fabric paint was used to create the drips.        



7 comments:

  1. Ho ho, Nedra! I see that you and I had the same thought! I love it that you connected that idea to an actual town, and one where people are more apt than in other places to "paint the town red." Well, there's always New Orleans, too! Great job, and I love the effects you've creating with the red paint actually dripping! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at this quilt again, I realized that I overlooked the paintbrush! A perfect touch for this quilt!!

      Delete
  2. What a fun quilt! I LOVE the paintbrush as it adds so much whimsy to your design. Terrific that you could use your 50th birthday trip to Las Vegas as your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great quilt, Nedra, even though 3 of us chose the same choice for "paint." I never have thought about using fingernail polish. What a great idea, given the fact that none of us can get our nails done during this pandemic. And, your choice of a city and time add so much meaning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your composition, colors, and connection to your own story. The addition of the paintbrush and actual paint adds to the whimsy. I really like the colorful rick rack around the edge too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nedra, what a great "take" on our theme ! And as others have commented on, the different ways you incorporated "Paint(ing) !" into your quilt. I think from this point on, I'll always think of the Corona Virus when I see "Red."

    ReplyDelete