Thursday, April 30, 2020

Judy's Paint the canvas

Painted canvas
I kept seeing paint dripping down a canvas so that’s what I made. The yellow and green fabrics are some that I hand dyed with my friend, Ellis Bennett. We did it in her garage in JULY in TEXAS. That tells you how much we wanted to dye fabric! Nobody would do that if they didn’t have a passion for quilting and creating.

The orange, blue, and purple are Cherrywood fabrics. They hand dye their own fabrics and are the ones who have a challenge every year. Last year was the Bob Ross challenge and this year is Diana.

The other part I couldn’t get out of my mind was the paintbrush. I wanted to be able to paint with it. All of these fabrics were in my stash and it was fun to rediscover them and make a paintbrush from them. I just cut out a section that looked like paintbrush hairs from McKenna Ryan’s line called “At Home In The Woods”. I had a little piece of gray that looked like metal and then the handle is a piece that I purchased from the Waco quilt guild president when she moved to Arizona back in 1995.


The paint was cut from a fun fabric called “Effervescence” designed by Amelia Caruso for Robert Kaufman. Sometimes it is so hard to use a fabric because you want to save it for just the right project. I’ve decided that now is the right time. This week I have cut into it 2 times and I still have some to use on other projects. I sewed squares of the right colors together and fused Bosal knit interfacing on the back to prevent it from fraying too much and to give it body so that it would paint nicely.
I sewed a vinyl sleeve to hold the paintbrush and paint. Enjoy.


7 comments:

  1. Clever you, Judy! You did what was my original idea. I really love the added paintbrush that adds to the notion of a painted canvas. Lovely, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another very clever idea!! I love the paintbrush and the fabric you used for the stripe of paint. Bright and cheerful too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy I just watched the video!! Im overwhelmed with your cleverness!!!!

      Delete
  3. I agree, totally clever! And I love it that you included the paintbrush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so darn clever Judy, I just adore the way you
    "engineered" the moving of the paint brush to reveal the "paint"! The first time I looked at it I did not see the video and wondered why there looked to be a plastic strip on the bottom, but all was answered! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy … As others have commented on, what a great way to display "Paint" and your video was wonderful ! Job well done :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful interpretation. Love the brush moving!

    ReplyDelete