Sunday, October 31, 2021

Nedra's Pieces - Olga's Treasure!!

 


As you can see, I focused on the Spanish coins known as pieces of eight as they were literally cut in pieces and came to be used to make change.  That is how our currency became to be called two bits, four bits, six bits - terms my Dad used for quarters and half dollars.   I chose to focus on repetition of "eights",  and my octopus holding the spoils of treasure came to be.  

Using a coloring book drawing for inspiration, I drew my own octopus and treasure chest on freezer paper and the large shapes were cut out.  A combination of fusing, tuille, and inktense pencils were used to embellish the octopus and chest and to affix them to the background.  Stencils that I drew and cut were used to create the purple "coral" in the background.  The coins are metal buttons stitched to the arms and glued on the inside of the chest.  Plastic "crystals" were used to add to the look of a mass of precious gems in the chest and cystallized glitter also sprinkled on top for the sparkly feel.  Of course Olga had to wear a pearl bracelet as she just loves  bling!!! The blue sea fans were stitched on tuille with wash away stabilizer  and affixed to the piece.  There is a king's crown included in the bounty.  What fun this was to create!!

 

7 comments:

  1. Really fun piece Nedra, and so many different techniques!
    Thank you for your detailed information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this, Nedra - so creative and fun to view. Thanks for your wonderful explanation of how to created this very special Olga!!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your octopus and its embellishments. The blue sea fan is looks just like real fans. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully clever and beautifully designed quilt! I had toyed with the "pieces of eight" idea too, but didn't have a clear notion of how to design a quilt around that idea. Thanks, too, for the history lesson about how those "bits" terms for coins came about! My dad used those terms, too, and I was always curious about them. But I never thought to research the background. So your little quilt awakened a wonderful memory for me of my beloved dad! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really adorable and fun quilt. I love octopus images and this is a wonderful one. I really like your interpretation of the theme

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my .... The "Pieces of Eight" never entered my mind, and the Octopus with its "Eight" legs was the perfect addition ! What a unique and creative way to portray our Challenge :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun quilt! I like how you used different techniques and products to create all the components and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete