Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Alice's Quilt: Bob Holds the Key to my Heart!





Bob and I celebrated our 60th anniversary in Michigan this summer with three of our four grandchildren, our daughter, and two sons–in-law.  We went to a lovely, quiet restaurant with scenic views for a delicious dinner. Then we came home to cut our anniversary cake.

 I decided that this KEY theme was a perfect way to honor my husband and our many years together!  The photo of us cutting our cake at the wedding reception in 1959 is superimposed on a heart, and then a smaller picture of the cake cutting at the 60th celebration is superimposed on it.  Tied atop the photos is what else but a key!  I added two additional hearts with two other recent pictures of Bob that I particularly like.

Further carrying out the KEY theme are the four small background blocks.  These are pieced in batiks using a log cabin variation called the Greek Key.  This is an ancient design that dates back centuries and can be found in floor tiles, rugs, ribbons, other decorative trim, and jewelry just to name a few.  By a stroke of good luck, I found directions for making the Greek Key block in one of my quilting books, Judy Martin’s Log Cabin Quilt Book.  One of Martin’s quilts in this book has a medallion center that contains four Greek Key Blocks, and the border repeats these blocks.

After constructing the quilt, I machine quilted with a meandering stitch in the light areas of the Greek Key blocks.  I fused the hearts and the photos onto the background with Wonder Under.  Then I stitched around these in a tiny zigzag stitch using red thread.  I echoed the red in the binding.

And so my quilt:  Bob Holds the Key to My Heart!




5 comments:

  1. Of course he is and why not honor him for this!!!
    Love the Greek key pieced backgound. You too are so clever! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I think alike Alice. How could we not connect "key" to our remarkable partners! Love the photos of the two cake cuttings and really, really like the Greek key backgrounds. Clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alice ... Your story and your quilt brought tears to my eyes. As I read your narrative, I could absolutely feel the love you and Bob have for each other. And then as you further described the Greek Key blocks, I was amazed that you were so subtle and clever in your 'construction' of this charming quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you so successfully combined ideas Alice. Lovely tribute to you and Bob's 60 + years together along with the Greek Key quilt block, which I've never seen or even heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet quilt! Just went to a wedding yesterday and the cake cutting is always a special part of the celebration. So fun to see them and now!

    ReplyDelete