Saturday, July 31, 2021

Alice's Beauty: Say it with Flowers




As soon as I learned what this theme was, I thought of all the beautiful blooms featured in the Kaffe Fassett Collective fabrics.  Alas, most of those flowers are hugely out of scale for one of our little quilts.  But I persisted and searched through my scraps and my stash of KF fabrics and eventually found some that would work.  

I adhered Wonder Under to these scraps and fussy-cut many flowers out.  For the background I constructed a crazy quilt type square, using different sections of one of the wonderful ombre fabrics I'd had such fun with for my last quilt.  I then free-hand cut out a vase and began the fun of arranging my bouquet of flowers.  I ironed these down onto the crazy quilt background.  I bound the quilt conventionally with the darker purple.

I laid my quilt aside for many weeks and then brought it with me to Michigan.  Yesterday I had fun embroidering the six sections of the background with a few different embroidery stitches, using Perle cotton I had brought from home.  I failed to bring my handy little embroidery stitch book so I couldn't try as many different stitches as I had planned to use.  And looking now at the photo, I wish I'd used a contrasting thread for the dark purple areas!  Alas, the deadline approached so I had to be content with what I had done!


7 comments:

  1. OH ! I LOVE THIS QUILT ! ! ! The focus is on the beautiful vase of flowers, and your use of the 3 beautiful background fabrics gives the quilt a Three-Dimensional look ! ! ! The embroidery also adds dimension that I never would have thought of ! G R E A T J O B !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your use of Kaffe's fabrics. Just a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet quilt! I love your hand stitching and until you mentioned the disappearing stitching on the purple I hadn't noticed. Maybe you can find some fun beads to add there to make them pop. At first I thought you had used silk until I looked closely and realized how well that beautiful ombre fabric made it look like silk. I love how the background piecing pulls your eye to the vase and the stitching you did along the seam allowances adds to the movement in your piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful portrayal of the beauty in flowers!!! And composed of Kaffe Fassett fabrics is the icing on the cake. Lovely background too!! Beautiful boquet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast between your crazy quilt background with the vase of Kaffe flowers, as it really makes the flowers pop. Your hand embroidery adds another layer of texture and interest. Kaffe fabrics are so versatile, aren't they? Great example of Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I had posted this, Alice, but I think I must have failed to push publish! I love this quilt. The background fabrics set it off beautifully, and you chose the perfect Kaffe flowers. This is beautiful and is certainly at the top in beauty of all of your 12x12s. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of good roads to bring in cash online are Creating Products to sell, Social Media, and Affiliate Marketing. In spite of the fact that making items to sell is the most well-known one individuals consider.body shaper

    ReplyDelete