Saturday, July 31, 2021

Andrea's Beauty Quilt


The Beauty of Simple Shapes
11"x14"

Fabric paint, freezer paper stencils, hand dyed cotton, 
commercial cotton, screen printed.



inspiration photo

 I took a series of photos of a single peony in one of my favorite Natalie Blake (natalieblakestudios.com) ceramic vases, with the hope that at least one would inspire my Beauty quilt design.  I am a bit obsessed with shadows and I love how they simplify and distort. I have been wanting to make a shadow quilt for 
awhile.  My first photos were of just the vase and peony, but as I moved "my model" around the room at different times of the day, they were casting the most fascinating shadows.  So my focus then shifted from the simple beauty of a classically shaped vase and single blossom to include the shadow.  I am most pleased with the outcome and this might be the beginning of a series of shadow themed quilts.  It was also great fun and very satisfying to build this quilt on my favorite Kaffe Fassett fabric background..




 

8 comments:

  1. OMG, Andrea, this is absolutely gorgeous. You have gone above and beyond to create the perfect shadow quilt. I love it and applaud your creativity! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much Carolyn, that means a lot to me!

      Delete
  2. ANDREA ! I LOVE THIS QUILT ! I'm also fascinated with shadows and how they slowly and silently make their way across our lives. And the Kaffe Fassett fabrics are, of course, PERFECT !! CONGRATS ... Great, Great Quilt !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy...I love your description of shadows, I may need to quote you sometime!

      Delete
  3. I love your use of fabrics and the shadow works perfectly. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always I love your composition, color, and use of fabrics. The added bonus is your dimensional petals and leaves. So if I understand the shadow is screen printed on? What kind of paint did you use to make it look transparent and like a shadow? I'm glad you shared the photo with us. That is an exciting use of photography to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Judy! Actually I cut a freezer paper stencil to make the shadow, by enlarging the photo and tracing the approximate shape. I then ironed it on the Kaffe fabric and "brushed" the paint on with a sponge. I use Profab Transparent textile paint from Pro Chemical & Dye ( I'm sure you've seen them vend in Houston? ). I use the transparent extender to make the paint more transparent. Hope this info helps? If not, please ask for further explanation!

      Delete
  5. The composition of this is stunning -- you've captured secondary beauty from the photograph in fabric and silk screening. 3D leaves and flowers are lovely!! Truly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete