Saturday, July 31, 2021

Karen's Beauty Bella Rosa

 Bella Rosa


The Language of Flowers is a favorite book of mine. Pink roses have lots of wonderful meanings. 
Fuchsia represents appreciation and gratitude. 
Dark pink, expression of thanks, admiration and gratefulness. 
Light pink, happiness and joy. 
My roses are a combo of all. 
Admiration for friends going through difficult times. 
Thankfulness for my family and friends. 
Happiness and joy from the "youngsters" in my family!
Appreciation and gratitude for the life I have. 
BEAUTY


The rose petals were free hand cut from various batiks. Layers and layers of petals that are stitched down approximately 1/2" away from the raw edge. The blossoms were sprayed with diluted Elmer's glue. I rigged them so they would hang upside down to dry. The petals dried stiff and standing up. 
They were originally stitched onto a rectangle for a class sample a number of years ago. 
I cut the blossoms out of the wall hanging, padded the centers with wool batt to create a rounded shape, and stitched just around the outer most petal, close to the inside to leave the edges free. Leaves made from the original background.  I spritzed with water to fluff up after 10 plus years on a shelf. 
Much better than the original. 




7 comments:

  1. I love all the layers that creates the rose. So much texture. I am not familiar with the book. I'll have to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all the ways you have captured beauty, both in your words and in these amazing roses. Thanks for explaining how you achieved this! I would just LOVE to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - these roses are striking - and you are right, so much more beautiful this time around. How clever to take something old and make a new beauty out of it! The roses really do look like they are reaching out of the quilt. And I love all the layering you created to make that happen! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - What a beautiful quilt ! I'm a Master Gardener, and the roses you made are really beautiful !! Thanks for all the information you provided about re-claiming an older quilt and transforming it into a beautiful work of Art !

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the 3 dimensional features really make this quilt sing. I agree that this quilt is a great makeover from the original. Too many times I don't look at older pieces to see if there is potential for another piece. I love the background fabric and that the leaves are also from your original sample. I would not have guessed how you created this and I appreciate you sharing that. Taking the picture of it on the grass put it into the perfect setting. I too would love to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How brave & clever to re-purpose a class sample quilt! I agree, that this version is better than the original. I'm most intrigued with your Elmers glue technique and will have to give it a try, thank you for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece has so much dimension to it!!! Truly beautiful roses. Composition is fantastic . Captures theme so well!!

    ReplyDelete